Overview of services offered in Obstetrics
The services extend from the early phase of pregnancy and delivery to medical attendance to the mother and the baby in the first days of life, including supervision of high-risk pregnancies.
Services before and during delivery
Preparation for delivery
- Individual attendance by our team of midwives
- Midwife consultation
- Antenatal classes are offered on an ongoing basis (also with your partner)
- Delivery room and ward tour (children’s and nursing room)
- Antenatal exercises
- Information evenings: on the first Wednesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in lecture hall 2 (basement) at Klinikum Erding
- Antenatal classes: every Tuesday 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Assistance during delivery
- Ongoing attendance by midwives, external midwives, obstetricians, anaesthetists and a paediatrician
- Several state-of-the-art delivery rooms
- Advanced technical monitoring techniques during delivery: kinetocardiotocography, twin CTG, ultrasound, Doppler sonography, CTG telemetry, pulse oximetry
- Pain relief measures ranging from acupuncture to epidural anaesthesia
- Outpatient delivery possible
- Water birth possible
State-of-the-art delivery room equipment
- Four delivery rooms, a recovery room, newborns’ REA unit
- Electrically adjustable delivery bed permitting various delivery positions, birthing seats, gym balls, ropes, climbing walls
- Tub for relaxing before delivery
- Birthing tub for water birth
- Stereo system (possibility to play your own CDs)
Delivery by caesarean section
In the event that a caesarean section becomes necessary, which is usually performed using the gentle Misgav Ladach method, the on-call emergency service team is available at any time. The surgical delivery procedure can be performed under general or regional anaesthesia (spinal or epidural anaesthesia). In most cases, the father or an accompanying person is permitted to stay in the operating theatre.
Pain relief during delivery
Pain relief during delivery (EDA=epidural anaesthesia) can be provided round the clock by the team of anaesthetists. More information about spinal or EDA can be obtained without prior arrangement in the delivery rooms every Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. (around the 35th week of pregnancy). In addition to conventional options, you can also request physical and homeopathic measures (aroma therapy, homeopathy, acupuncture).
Safety measures for mother and baby
- Ultrasound and colour Doppler ultrasound to recognise risks and initiate therapeutic measures in a timely manner
- CTG devices employing telemetry to monitor the baby’s cardiac sounds and additional parameters of the mother and the baby (kinetocardiotocography, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, etc.)
- Micro-blood sampling for the baby to minimise risks
Of course, outpatient CTG examination and cardiotocography (monitoring of the baby’s cardiac sounds) can also be performed at weekends and outside the consultation hours.
Newborns at risk
As a hospital specialising on perinatal care, a local, permanently available paediatrician of Klinikum Landkreis Erding takes care of newborns subject to increased risk.
Services following inpatient delivery
- Accommodation of mother and baby in modern rooms with private bathroom
- Family room upon request (for a small fee)
- Daily post-natal exercises
- Daily lactation guidance and consultation by international board-certified lactation consultants (IBCLC)
- Guidance and consultation regarding baby care
- Mother and baby in the same room (24-hour rooming-in possible)
- Metabolic testing of newborns (routine check-up)
- Auditory testing of newborns
- Routine check-ups (referred to as “U2”) are performed by collaborating registered paediatricians
Prenatal Outpatient Clinic
You can register for delivery at the Prenatal Outpatient Clinic around the 36th week of pregnancy. The most important data is recorded by the midwife and any questions concerning the delivery are discussed with the obstetrician and usually also with the head physician. For this purpose, we need a letter of referral from your attending gynaecologist, with whom we will maintain close cooperation.